Home World News America United States San Diego Daily Lawsuit filed over unsanitary conditions at San Diego safe sleeping sites
San Diego Daily

Lawsuit filed over unsanitary conditions at San Diego safe sleeping sites

Lawsuit filed over unsanitary conditions at San Diego safe sleeping sites thumbnail

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — A group of people who stay at safe sleeping sites in San Diego are launching a federal lawsuit to address what they call inhumane living conditions, among other issues.

“We are challenging this lawsuit, this shockingly unsafe, unsanitary, discriminatory and inhumane conditions of the two tent camps in the city’s Orwellian-named ‘safe sleeping program,” Attorney Ann Menasche said.

Surrounded by a dozen or so residents of these safe sleeping sites, homeless advocates and lawyers laid out a series of issues that specifically affect people with physical or mental disabilities.

The lawsuit claims the living conditions at the two tent sites are inhumane and violate the rights of the people living there.

“Our city’s failed leadership needs to do better. We are here to put them on notice with this lawsuit, that if they don’t do better we will make them do better. And we will make them do better every, single time,” attorney for homeless Genevieve Jones Wright said.

While the city and county have acknowledged rodent infestations, and other issues, they’ve also said they are doing their best to clean up the area.

For the people who live there, so far it’s not enough.

“It’s not living conditions. It’s very unsanitary, it’s infested with mice, rats and cockroaches,” said John Borja, plaintiff against the city.

“At times I felt I was safer sleeping on the streets than I was in there,” said Laura Zellata, plaintiff against the city.

“The bottom line is the city and it’s contracted agencies cannot force low income San Diegans to live in government sponsored camps under substandard conditions at the risk of their health and very lives,” said attorney Menasche.

Read More

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Scripps Health team recalls Katrina deployment as 20th anniversary nears

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — Friday marks 20 years since Hurricane Katrina devastated...

Proposed paid parking in Balboa Park raises concerns among senior groups

SAN DIEGO (FOX5/KUSI) — Balboa Park visitors may soon have to pay...

Newsom expands CHP crime suppression teams across California

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced the expansion of California Highway Patrol...

Disco Lines set to bring turntables to Gallagher Square: Find out when

SAN DIEGO (FOX5/KUSI)– DJ and producer Disco Lines will be bringing his...