Home World News America United States San Diego Daily San Diego shuts down Golden Hill pop&up DJ events over permits, safety concerns
San Diego Daily

San Diego shuts down Golden Hill pop&up DJ events over permits, safety concerns

San Diego shuts down Golden Hill pop&up DJ events over permits, safety concerns thumbnail

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — What started as one man playing music for friends at Golden Hill Park turned into a weekly gathering of hundreds, until the city shut it down.

Daniel Joseph Hernandez, who has been DJing since he was 14-years-old, said his deep connection to Golden Hill inspired him to bring music to the park last year. Within months, his casual hangouts grew into events he would promote on social media, drawing 500 people every Friday night.

“It became such a cool thing, and really felt like a community,” Hernandez said. “People were close, they were sharing food, dogs were running around — it was so much fun.”

But the gatherings ended earlier this month when park rangers told Hernandez he needed a city permit, along with insurance, security and even portable restrooms. Officials also said Hernandez was responsible for the large crowds because he promoted the events on TikTok.

“So many people already enjoy this park on a Friday without the music,” he said. “It’s hard to really say the entire crowd was me.”

The shutdown follows similar enforcement against Winyl Club, a group that hosted free community music nights in Balboa Park and Kate Sessions Park. One of the founders, Derek Larson, said the group isn’t making money from its events and criticized the permitting costs.

“All of our tax money already goes to parks,” Larson said. “For us to pay double just trying to have a safe space for people makes no sense to me.”

Both Hernandez and Winyl Club say they want a compromise with the city that would allow them to keep hosting free music events without the high costs of permits.

The city confirmed in an email that amplified sound and large gatherings require permits to ensure one group doesn’t take over public space.

“This is something the community craves,” Hernandez said. “They need to be outside, they need to connect with people, and I want to help bring that back.”

Read More

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Scripps Health team recalls Katrina deployment as 20th anniversary nears

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — Friday marks 20 years since Hurricane Katrina devastated...

Proposed paid parking in Balboa Park raises concerns among senior groups

SAN DIEGO (FOX5/KUSI) — Balboa Park visitors may soon have to pay...

Newsom expands CHP crime suppression teams across California

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced the expansion of California Highway Patrol...

Disco Lines set to bring turntables to Gallagher Square: Find out when

SAN DIEGO (FOX5/KUSI)– DJ and producer Disco Lines will be bringing his...