Home World News Australia Aussie Daily Nancy Mace jumps into South Carolina governor’s race
Aussie Daily

Nancy Mace jumps into South Carolina governor’s race

Nancy Mace jumps into South Carolina governor’s race thumbnail

She faces a competitive GOP primary to succeed Gov. Henry McMaster.

Rep. Nancy Mace officially launched her bid for governor of South Carolina, joining a competitive GOP primary to follow term-limited Gov. Henry McMaster.

“God’s not done with South Carolina and neither am I,” Mace wrote in an X post announcing the launch. “You and me. Our mission begins now.”

Mace (R-S.C.), who is in her third term in Congress, has branded herself as a protector of women’s rights.

In May, she shared a photo of a naked silhouette she said her ex-fiance took of her without her consent in a House subcomittee hearing as part of an effort to gain legal protections for victims of nonconsensual recording.

She has also led the charge in advocating for banning transgender women from using the women’s restroom in the Capitol. The move came after Rep. Sarah McBride (D-Del.), a transgender woman, was elected to Congress.

“She’s a fighter, I know about that,” President Donald Trump said in a clip added to Mace’s campaign launch video.

Despite now touting Trump’s allyship, Mace’s relationship with the president has not always been perfect. Mace had previously indicated she felt Republicans needed to “rebuild” and “hold the president accountable” after the Jan. 6 insurrection.

And in 2022, Trump endorsed her challenger in the GOP primary for her House seat. At the time, he called Mace an “absolutely terrible candidate.”

Mace will face Lt. Gov. Pamela Evette, state Attorney General Alan Wilson and Rep. Ralph Norman in the primary. The candidates will likely vie for Trump’s endorsement, who could be key in securing the votes necessary to gain an edge in the crowded race.

Read More

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

This blue state is the first to grapple with megabill response

Colorado has a roughly $1 billion budget hole to address in a...

Chicago doesn’t need or want federal troops, Gov. Pritzker says

President Donald Trump has threatened to deploy the National Guard to the...

Democratic governors urge Trump to drop plans to send troops to their cities

A letter from the Democratic Governors Association comes amid Trump threats to...

Trump’s playbook for forcing the GOP into line faces a new test

Trump and his allies are pushing their redistricting efforts with many of...